Friday, September 5, 2014

Meet Tina; The patron saint of Artitude Tees

 Tina really exists-- out in the world.  I'm a full time working metal sculptor.  I do it all by hand-- bending, shaping and welding steel to form things from my own imagination. 

Tina was made mostly out of old stock car parts scavenged from my local mountain bike trail.  She used to be an old Chevy Nova from the early 70s.  That old Chevy, found in pieces rusting away in the woods, had no idea it was going to get a second life, as Tina.
 She gets her name from one of the fenders; it had some names hand painted on under "Pit Crew", and "Tina" was the only one still readable.  It's part of her arm now.

She lives at the trail, a guardian of the park and mascot  for the riders there.  She represents a lot of things to me: that wild spirit inside many of us (just below the surface), creative freedom, female power, courage, rebelliousness-- and my love of mountain biking and my local trail.

When I decided to get into graphic design and screen printing, I knew one of my very first designs would feature Tina.  This is a whole new world for me.  I'm used to making things out of steel.  I'm still learning more, every day.  Above is the pic of Tina I used as a guide to help me create my logo.  It gave me a good idea how light and shadow fell on her face.  I drew the graphic image by hand, probably the slow way, but I am still learning, and am happy with how it turned out.

 I think I captured her proud, wild spirit.  I hope when people wear this tee they feel like they are capable of anything-- bold and awesome.  Thanks for checking out Artitude tees.  Get the Tina tee (aka the Artitude Tees logo tee) HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment